Landscape Tour of The Retreat Estate

21
JUNE, 2022
LANDSCAPE TOUR OF THE RETREAT ESTATE

Book onto a ‘Talk and Tour’ event for free and explore this exceptional site

We are hosting a day long series of tours around the grounds of The Retreat estate on Heslington Road at York to explore how the land has changed and developed over the years.

Landscape architects Randall Thorp are working with us on future proposals for the estate and will discuss how the 13-acre estate has gone from turnip field to formal garden and orchard and what influenced the changes.

The estate was integral to the work of The Retreat, established in 1796 by Quaker William Tuke, who believed mental health was linked with physical activity and created a place where the grounds offered recreation facilities to support the mental health care.

In patient services offered by The Retreat closed in 2018 and new centres of excellence for outpatients have been established in other locations in addition to Heslington Road.

We are hoping to convert the Grade II * listed buildings to residential use with the majority of the grounds opened up to the public.

There are proposals for a heritage trail around the perimeter and plans for a peace and tranquillity garden. The Quaker burial ground will be unaffected and continue.

Randall Thorp partner Dick Longdin said: “The Heslington Road estate is a landscape treasure and because of its previous sensitive use one that many people in York are unaware of. The task now is to open as much of the grounds as possible for the public to enjoy while retaining private spaces for the new residents.”

PJ Livesey Group joint managing director Georgina Lynch said: “Heslington Road is a special place and we want to respect and celebrate its heritage while also looking at how it can be opened and maintained for wider use.”

Three ‘Talk and Tour’ events will take place on Saturday June 25th starting at 10am – 12.30pm and 2.30pm.

The tours are free but places must be reserved through Eventbrite

We are hosting a day long series of tours around the grounds of The Retreat estate on Heslington Road at York to explore how the land has changed and developed over the years.

Landscape architects Randall Thorp are working with us on future proposals for the estate and will discuss how the 13-acre estate has gone from turnip field to formal garden and orchard and what influenced the changes.

The estate was integral to the work of The Retreat, established in 1796 by Quaker William Tuke, who believed mental health was linked with physical activity and created a place where the grounds offered recreation facilities to support the mental health care.

In patient services offered by The Retreat closed in 2018 and new centres of excellence for outpatients have been established in other locations in addition to Heslington Road.

We are hoping to convert the Grade II * listed buildings to residential use with the majority of the grounds opened up to the public.

There are proposals for a heritage trail around the perimeter and plans for a peace and tranquillity garden. The Quaker burial ground will be unaffected and continue.

Randall Thorp partner Dick Longdin said: “The Heslington Road estate is a landscape treasure and because of its previous sensitive use one that many people in York are unaware of. The task now is to open as much of the grounds as possible for the public to enjoy while retaining private spaces for the new residents.”

PJ Livesey Group joint managing director Georgina Lynch said: “Heslington Road is a special place and we want to respect and celebrate its heritage while also looking at how it can be opened and maintained for wider use.”

Three ‘Talk and Tour’ events will take place on Saturday June 25th starting at 10am – 12.30pm and 2.30pm.

The tours are free but places must be reserved through Eventbrite.

Special Delivery for School Children

23

DECEMBER, 2021

SPECIAL DELIVERY FOR SCHOOL CHILDREN

We were pleased to support the work of the PTA at Cavendish Road Primary School

We were pleased to support the work of the PTA at Cavendish Road Primary School in Didsbury by providing each pupil with a new reading book for Christmas – and very grateful to Santa for taking time out to deliver them in person on the day of the school’s Xmas Fair. Managing Director Georgina Lynch said: “The joy of reading is really important and we hope all the children enjoy their books.
“Schools and teachers have had a tough time over the last two years and we were pleased to support the work of the PTA as it continues to organise the extra activities and treats that are so appreciated. “We have delivered many schemes in Didsbury and it continues to be one of Manchester’s most popular areas for many reasons – including great schools.”

RALPH’S 25,000 MILES AROUND THE WORLD

02

JUNE, 2021

25,000 MILES AROUND THE WORLD

We did it! We went Around the World for Ralph and raised money for the Christie Charity

The amazing PJ Livesey Team’s Round the World challenge ended with an incredible 24-hour-cyclathon at company headquarters to clock up the final 1,000 of the 25,000-mile journey

And it was wonderful that director Ralph Brocklehurst got the team over the finish line by cycling the last mile to bring us back home safely.

It followed an epic effort by director Craig Lynch and construction operations manager Gareth Whittaker who spent 24 hours in the saddle cycling around the clock. They were supported throughout the day and night by colleagues and we ended with a well-deserved party.

Thanks to the enormous efforts of everyone at PJ Livesey, supported by donations from friends, family, contractors, and suppliers we have raised more than £11,000 for The Christie Hospital Charity.

We would like to thank everyone for every single mile walked, run, cycled or swum and for every penny donated. The amount has already far exceeded our initial target but The Christie fundraising has been affected badly by the lack of events over the last year and we intend to leave the Fundraising page open until the end of June.

Georgina Livesey said: “It has been the most incredible journey around the world – both inspiring and humbling. I am so proud of the team and the effort everyone has put in both to do the miles and raise this incredible amount to support the work of such a great hospital. The treatment and care it provides for so many people like our colleague Ralph is world-class. It was typical of his indomitable spirit and strength that he wanted to get us over the finish line and play his part in completing the challenge which he inspired.” Anna McIntosh, major relationships development manager, at The Christie, was on hand to accept a cheque on behalf of the charity.

The amazing PJ Livesey Team’s Round the World challenge ended with an incredible 24-hour-cyclathon at company headquarters to clock up the final 1,000 of the 25,000-mile journey

And it was wonderful that director Ralph Brocklehurst got the team over the finish line by cycling the last mile to bring us back home safely.

It followed an epic effort by director Craig Lynch and construction operations manager Gareth Whittaker who spent 24 hours in the saddle cycling around the clock. They were supported throughout the day and night by colleagues and we ended with a well-deserved party.

Thanks to the enormous efforts of everyone at PJ Livesey, supported by donations from friends, family, contractors, and suppliers we have raised more than £11,000 for The Christie Hospital Charity.

We would like to thank everyone for every single mile walked, run, cycled or swum and for every penny donated. The amount has already far exceeded our initial target but The Christie fundraising has been affected badly by the lack of events over the last year and we intend to leave the Fundraising page open until the end of June.

Georgina Livesey said: “It has been the most incredible journey around the world – both inspiring and humbling. I am so proud of the team and the effort everyone has put in both to do the miles and raise this incredible amount to support the work of such a great hospital. The treatment and care it provides for so many people like our colleague Ralph is world-class. It was typical of his indomitable spirit and strength that he wanted to get us over the finish line and play his part in completing the challenge which he inspired.”

Anna McIntosh, major relationships development manager, at The Christie, was on hand to accept a cheque on behalf of the charity.

Around the World for Ralph

05

March, 2021

AROUND THE WORLD FOR RALPH

The PJ Livesey Team are raising money for The Christie Charity

The PJ Livesey Team is walking, running, rowing and cycling our way around the world – covering a whopping 25,000 miles – to raise money for The Christie Charity.

This amazing challenge is also to support our colleague Ralph, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatment at The Christie Hospital in Manchester.

Clocking up these miles is our way of showing him we are with him every step of the way.

Georgina Livesey said: “My initial idea was to cross the Atlantic for Ralph and then someone suggested we should circumnavigate the world and I was sold!

“Ralph has been an integral part of PJ Livesey since the company was founded and continues to inspire us now with his humour and strength. It speaks volumes that so many people are joining in to take on the world for him!”

Eighty people are recording their daily miles with progress plotted on a giant map.

The Christie provides outstanding treatment and care for Ralph and many others and we are trying to raise an initial £2,500 whilst traveling 25,000 miles Around the World for Ralph!

We have already completed 3300 miles and have currently just passed Montreal.

We will add regular updates here and would love it if people wanted to donate to this wonderful cause.

Supporting local businesses

24

NOVEMBER, 2020

SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES

Our Didsbury garden apartment comes with a package of goodies

We are supporting local businesses by adding a package of goodies that will make the buyer of our final garden apartment at Parklands, Didsbury, feel even more at home.

Plants from Flourish, a fridge full of beers from The Epicurean and luxury candles from Moth will add the final touches to this two bedroom show apartment which already includes fitted bedroom furniture, carpets and blinds.

Group Sales Manager Gavin Pearce said: “These are all wonderful independent shops that serve both of our Didsbury developments that have been forced to close their door during the second lock down. We wanted to show our support and it means whoever buys the apartment can have some lovely treats when they move in.

“Our marketing suite at 825 Didsbury is still open and buyers can make a private appointment to view the show apartment so they can truly appreciate how light and bright it is.”

Priced at £394,950 it qualifies for the Government’s current Help to Buy scheme which means it is available with only a 5% deposit. And as it is ready to move into there will be no stamp duty to pay.

Gavin added: “With everything in place you could be living in Apartment 08 by Christmas, surrounded by lush plants or maybe an amazing Christmas tree, enjoying a hand crafted beer in a wonderfully scented living room!”

Call 0161 448 0902 and make your appointment now with our sales consultant Brittany who will be happy to show you around.

Flourish – https://www.flourish.company/

The Epicurean – https://www.theepicureanbeers.co.uk/

Moth – https://mothstyle.com/

Support your local high street – the doors may be closed but you can still order online.

We are supporting local businesses by adding a package of goodies that will make the buyer of our final garden apartment at Parklands, Didsbury, feel even more at home.

Plants from Flourish, a fridge full of beers from The Epicurean and luxury candles from Moth will add the final touches to this two bedroom show apartment which already includes fitted bedroom furniture, carpets and blinds.

Group Sales Manager Gavin Pearce said: “These are all wonderful independent shops that serve both of our Didsbury developments that have been forced to close their door during the second lock down. We wanted to show our support and it means whoever buys the apartment can have some lovely treats when they move in.

“Our marketing suite at 825 Didsbury is still open and buyers can make a private appointment to view the show apartment so they can truly appreciate how light and bright it is.”

Priced at £394,950 it qualifies for the Government’s current Help to Buy scheme which means it is available with only a 5% deposit. And as it is ready to move into there will be no stamp duty to pay.

Gavin added: “With everything in place you could be living in Apartment 08 by Christmas, surrounded by lush plants or maybe an amazing Christmas tree, enjoying a hand crafted beer in a wonderfully scented living room!”

Call 0161 448 0902 and make your appointment now with our sales consultant Brittany who will be happy to show you around.

Flourish – https://www.flourish.company/

The Epicurean – https://www.theepicureanbeers.co.uk/

Moth – https://mothstyle.com/

Support your local high street – the doors may be closed but you can still order online.

Go Gold

21

NOVEMBER, 2019

P J LIVESEY GO GOLD FOR RESEARCH

Fundraising at our Trafford Park Headquarters has helped two wonderful local charities.

Throughout the whole of September the P J Livesey offices turned ‘Gold’ in support of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

With a gold-themed cake baking contest, a golden egg raffle and a guess the name of a giant gold bear competion, our generous staff and visitors raised a magnificent £2,180.50 in aid of Friends of Rosie.

The donation will help the Manchester based charity to fund pioneering research looking for improvements in the treatment and diagnosis of children with cancer.

Dorothea Livesey, of P J Livesey, said “We are delighted to support this very worthwhile local charity and help raise awareness for childhood cancer research. My thanks go to everyone who helped to organise events and donated during the month, helping us to reach such a fantastic fundraising total.”

Felicity Goodey CBE DL, Friends of Rosie Chair of Trustees, visited the office to pick up the cheque and said “Our huge thanks goes to the team at P J Livesey for their

amazing fundraising achievements during September. Support like this helps us pump more funding into these vital areas of research, making a difference for children with cancer in the future.”

Giant gold bears were also in residence at our developments at Green Walk in West Didsbury and The Historic Quarter at Alderley Park with viewers and purchasers also invited to guess the giant toy’s name.

Sheila King, one of our new residents at The Historic Quarter guessed correctly but generously decided to donate the cuddly bear to Francis House Hospice in Didsbury. 

 A whole hearted thank you to everyone who got involved and we send our very best wishes to the charities.

Throughout the whole of September the P J Livesey offices turned ‘Gold’ in support of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

With a gold-themed cake baking contest, a golden egg raffle and a guess the name of a giant gold bear competion, our generous staff and visitors raised a magnificent £2,180.50 in aid of Friends of Rosie.

The donation will help the Manchester based charity to fund pioneering research looking for improvements in the treatment and diagnosis of children with cancer.

Dorothea Livesey, of P J Livesey, said “We are delighted to support this very worthwhile local charity and help raise awareness for childhood cancer research. My thanks go to everyone who helped to organise events and donated during the month, helping us to reach such a fantastic fundraising total.”

Felicity Goodey CBE DL, Friends of Rosie Chair of Trustees, visited the office to pick up the cheque and said “Our huge thanks goes to the team at P J Livesey for their amazing fundraising achievements during September. Support like this helps us pump more funding into these vital areas of research, making a difference for children with cancer in the future.”

Giant gold bears were also in residence at our developments at Green Walk in West Didsbury and The Historic Quarter at Alderley Park with viewers and purchasers also invited to guess the giant toy’s name.

Sheila King, one of our new residents at The Historic Quarter guessed correctly but generously decided to donate the cuddly bear to Francis House Hospice in Didsbury.

A whole hearted thank you to everyone who got involved and we send our very best wishes to the charities.